░░░░░░░░░░░Amsterdam, 2006-2009░░░░░░░░░░░░░

Welcome! This is the research blog for MachinimaBits festival. On this blog I put all the interesting sources and works I found during the creation of the lineup of the festival.

Unfortunately the second festival (2009 issue) was cancelled because the venue decided (without consultation) to calculate a (quite high) entrance fee, which we only found out about on the website. We (the curators + artists) make nothing and want to keep this a free festival.
I decided to not follow through and keep the research for a later time

Friday, January 2, 2009

DeLappe, dead-in-iraq, 2006.


This work commenced in March of 2006, to roughly coincide with the 3rd anniversary of the start of the Iraq conflict. I enter the online US Army recruiting game, "America's Army", in order to manually type the name, age, service branch and date of death of each service person who has died to date in Iraq. The work is essentially a fleeting, online memorial to those military personnel who have been killed in this ongoing conflict. My actions are also intended as a cautionary gesture.

I enter the game using as my login name, "dead-in-iraq" and proceed to type the names using the game's text messaging system. As is my usual practice when creating such an intervention, I am a neutral visitor as I do not participate in the proscribed mayhem. Rather, I stand in position and type until I am killed. After death, I hover over my dead avatar's body and continue to type. Upon being re-incarnated in the next round, I continue the cycle.

As of 5/3/08, I have input 4002 names. I intend to keep doing so until the end of this war. As of this date there have been 4066 American service persons killed in Iraq.
More DeLappe
RetroYou (interactive software project)

No comments: